If you fall into the same category has me then you need this diy: deep conditioner in your life. Over the holidays I flat ironed my hair and for the whole week I was laying in my bed staring at the ceiling and wondering if I had heat damage (exaggeration). I had done all the precautionary steps but you cant help but wonder. (You know?)
Like always I try to keep my diys simple for you and I. The important ingredients are mayonnaise and a over-ripen banana. That's it. Surprisingly, mayonnaise contains many of the properties in your store bought products. Protein, humidifiers and wait for it silicone.
1. It contains oils (humidifiers) that penetrate the hair and deeply moisturizes hair.
2. It coats the hair easily- like a (silicone) and aids in shine and protection while heat styling.
3. Replenishes weak strands to prevent breakage (protein) and also encourages new growth.
But why over-ripen banana? Has the banana ages, its antioxidant levels increase. Antioxidants provide protection of cells, promotes growth, maintains hair colour, and the integrity of your hair. Vitamin C assists the absorption of iron; which is necessary for oxygenation. Oxygen stimulates cell metabolism and increases blood flow which ultimately promotes hair growth. Vitamin A regulates sebum production (oil on the scalp) keeping scalp and hair lubricated while vitamin E stimulates circulation. Doesn't it sound amazing?
What you'll need:
1 over ripen banana
3 tbsp of mayonnaise (depending on hair density you may use more or less)
Essential oil for scent (recommended)
1. Remove the skin, cut banana into smaller pieces and place in blender.
2. Add 3 tbsp of mayonnaise
3. Thoroughly blend
4. Place in a recycled bottle to reduce mess.
5. Apply to hair and leave for 40 minutes.
6. Follow with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
7. Style has desired.
Mess Level: Medium
Photo on the left is without any hair product| My hair reverted completely, felt strong and soft. Plus it was shiny.
Right is my twist out
N.B I do recommend adding something to mask the smell of the mayonnaise. Especially if you are not a fan of the smell of eggs. I didn't have anything to mask the smell and I had to give my bathroom a thorough cleaning because my mom hates the smell.
Happy deep conditioning!
Oxygen and scalp
You can stay up to date with me on my own social mediums:
Personal blog: kreamykurls.blogspot.com